Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Little Star Dish Cloth or Wash Cloth: a Free Crochet Pattern for You

In honor of Independence Day, July 4th, I have designed this sweet little dish cloth, which can also be used as a wash cloth if you prefer.It is quick and easy to make, and looks very patriotic in red, white and blue. But I think it makes a very cute little wash cloth made in other colors, too. I know a little boy who will be getting some new washcloths soon!

Little Star Dish Cloth or Wash Cloth

Size: About 9” across at widest point.
Skill Level: Easy
Materials: Worsted Weight Cotton Yarn (Peaches & Crème from Pisgah Yarn & Dyeing Co., Inc. was used for models- one ball each of #95 Red, #26 Light Blue and #1 White made 3 cloths)
½ oz. Center Color
1 ½ oz. Main Color
1 oz. Edging Color
H (5.00mm) crochet hook
Special Stitches:
For 2 dc cluster: Yo, insert hook in st or ch sp indicated, yo, pull lp through, yo, pull through 2 lps on hook, yo, insert hook in same st or ch sp, yo, pull lp through, yo, pull through 2 lps on hook, yo, pull through all 3 lps on hook
For 3 dc cluster: Yo, insert hook in st or ch sp indicated, yo, pull lp through, yo, pull through 2 lps on hook, (yo, insert hook in same st or ch sp, yo, pull through, yo, pull through 2 lps on hook) 2 times, yo, pull through all 4 lps on hook
Rnd 1: With Center Color, ch 5, sl st in first ch to form ring, ch 2, 2 dc cluster (see Special Stitches) in ring, ch 3, (3 dc cluster-see Special Stitches- in ring, ch 3) 4 times, join with sl st in top of 2-dc cluster. Fasten off. (One 2-dc cluster, four 3-dc clusters, five ch-3 sps made)
Rnd 2: Join Main Color with sl st in any ch-3 sp, (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in same ch-3 sp as joining, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in each remaining ch-3 sp around, join with sl st in top of ch-3. (Ch-3 counts as first dc; 30 dc, 5 ch-2 sps made)
Rnd 3: Sl st into next (the second) st, ch 3, dc in next st, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in each of next 2 sts, skip next 2 sts, *dc in each of next 2 sts, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in each of next 2 sts, skip next 2 sts; repeat from * around, join with sl st in top of ch-3. (50 dc, 5 ch-2 sps made)
Rnd 4: Sl st into next st, ch 3, dc in each of next 3 sts, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in each of next 4 sts, skip next 2 sts, *dc in each of next 4 sts, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in each of next 4 sts, skip next 2 sts; repeat from * around, join with sl st in top of ch-3. (70 dc, 5 ch-2 sps made)
Rnd 5: Sl st into next st, ch 3, dc in each of next 5 sts, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in each of next 6 sts, skip next 2 sts, *dc in each of next 6 sts, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in each of next 6 sts, skip next 2 sts; repeat from * around, join with sl st in top of ch-3. Fasten off. (90 dc, 5 ch-2 sps made)
Rnd 6: Join Edging Color with sc in any ch-2 sp, 2 more sc in same ch-2 sp as joining, sc in each of next 8 sts, skip next 2 sts, sc in each of next 8 sts, *3 sc in next ch-2 sp, sc in each of next 8 sts, skip next 2 sts, sc in each of next 8 sts; repeat from * around, join with sl st in first sc. Fasten off.

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!!!

Copyright BellaCrochet 2010. All rights reserved. This pattern may not be shared or redistributed in any way.
If you like this pattern, I hope you will check out all of my other free patterns:
BellaCrochetFreePatterns

37 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow what a pretty dishcloth, bath cloth, facecloth. I just love it and have saved it so that I can get to it quicker. Thank you so much.

Hugs XX
Barbara

Ann said...

You are welcome, Barbara! I hope you will enjoy it!

glor said...

These are beautiful. How sweet of you.

Beansieleigh said...

Oh, I love these! Thanks for sharing your pattern! ~tina

Gloria Beatriz said...

Thanks for your pattern and happy 4th of July!!!

eezelifeinbc said...

Very pretty dishcloths~ thanks for sharing the pattern
Happy 4th of July to you, also!

Jeannie said...

Those are wonderful, thank you!!

Joanna said...

Those are so pretty. Thank you. I think they could be used at Christmas, too, in the right colors.

Ann said...

I agree, Joanna! I think they would be really cute in Christmasy colors.

crochethuahua said...

Thank you Ann!

Debra said...

Thanks for such a cute pattern! I just bought some I ♥ This Cotton and now I know what I will do with it! Thanks again for sharing your creativity!

Dena said...

Hi Ann,
I worked one of these up last evening and the kids were arguing over who gets it for their future...making more now! LOL It's a great pattern and works up really fast. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs...

Terri said...

These are so cute. I love the centre pattern. Thanks for sharing your design.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try these. They're really cute. Thanks for sharing.

I'm following you on GFC & FB.

Tina "The Book Lady"

Anonymous said...

I love these made them in Christmas colors, used red for star center, variegated for body of star and green for the edge. I did two rows of edging instead of one and put three sc in the middle corner sc of star point. On round 6 you say you can start in any ch-2 sp, but you have to start in a ch-2 sp at the one of the tips not in the decrease. I'm also going to join two of these together to make hot pads. This is a great pattern, thanks for sharing.

Ann said...

I am glad you like them, Anonymous! But the decrease is not a ch-2 sp; the only ch-2 sps are at the points. So you can join in any ch-2 sp, as the pattern states.

Eva North said...

This looks awesome, especially if you change the colors for Christmas.....i can't wait to try it

Joana said...

Beautiful stars, was looking for a arranges Christmas. thank you
Joana

Nonieduh said...

Hi. I just found out about Ravelry 2 days ago. So fun. I live 1.5 miles from the beach. The first thing I thought of when I saw these adorable wash clothes was 'Sea Stars!!!' Can't t wait to make a few for my kitchen.

samm said...

Thanks for these Ann,
They are so much fun to make.

Marcia said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I have a dear friend who loves red-white-blue items. Now I have to make her some of these!
Have a blessed day!

Sharon said...

I have saved this pattern to make soon!! Love it :) thanks for sharing.

Christina Broad said...

Hi.. I am a new follower and I just love this pattern and want to say 'thank you' for making it available.. I will be making some of these for sure very soon.. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE this pattern! Thank you for sharing it with all of us! Made my first one tonight, and it works up very quickly and easily. Perfect stash-buster design, and sooooo cute! Can't wait to try more colors and sizes (sport yarn maybe)!

Dana said...

I just found this on Pinterest, grabbed a hook and got started. Thanks for sharing your pattern. I am making up a bunch in red, white and blue for the 4th Picnic. I can't wait to Wow everyone with my festive table decor. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pattern! I made one change that gave the points on the star a bit more pointy-ness. Instead of doing three single crochets in each 2-chain space, I did *sc, dc, sc* in each 2-chain space. It looks awesome! Thanks again!

Ericka said...

Thank you Thank you for this pattern! I found a similar pattern via Maggie Wheldon and it was so confusing - thank you for including the # of stitches, etc. - it really helped me. Thank you again - I crocheted the star in Christmas colors to include with a gift for my dear, dear friend. Merry Christmas! Ericka in IL

Lesly said...

Thank you for this wonderful pattern. I made a potholder/trivet using your pattern. I made 2 'stars' and instead of putting the edging stitch on each I just used the final single crochet row to join the 2 pieces together. Makes a perfect potholder or trivet. Love it.

Irene said...

I absolutely love this pattern. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Inmaculada Montero Torres said...

I have just finished one of these and it turned out really nice. At first I thought that it might be too difficult for me, but I am happy that It wasn't the case.

Media Studies Test said...

Thanks, just worked this in one colour and it came out lovely. Just what I needed in my new year haze of sleep deprivation.

Tracy Lynn said...

Been looking all over for the perfect star pattern to match my start coasters I've been making...this IS the perfect one! Thanx for sharing! =)

Anonymous said...

So lovely ~ ~ ~ Thank you for your pattern ^.^

Heather B. said...

Love the pattern!! I've made several in Christmas colors. Does anyone have any cute ideas on how to package them for gift giving?

Anonymous said...

Love this pattern!! I make two stars and then crochet them together with the final row. This makes them into the best hot pads!

Sherrie said...

I just made one of these in white. Just simple white and it turned out beautiful. My daughter will love it as I am putting it in her birthday basket of gifts. Thank you for sharing this lovely pattern!

Anonymous said...

This pattern is perfect for a quick and easy runner I want to make. TY